Thursday, March 02, 2006

Will Lawrence v. Texas be overturned

Not that I'm a big proponent of abortion or that I think abortion rights and gay rights are directly related, but, with all of these states working so furiously to outlaw abortion and get a ruling from the new Supreme Court (here's one example), is Texas or some other state going to try to overturn Lawrence too?

At least if that happened all of these Conservatives would have to admit that they were against equality altogether, not just the idea that the Supreme Court made the decision. Can we say cop out?

Anyway, I thought the Supreme Court was supposed to be immune from all of this political nonsense. Is our country really that divided these days that everytime a member of the Supreme Court retires (or dies or gets really sick as Jerry Falwell has predicted), we go back and challenge every controversial ruling they've ever made. How is that progress?

Our founding fathers must be so proud.

Luckily the Constitution doesn't say anything about email, so I am going to write my legislators about banning the elderly from emailing, just because I know they don't have any protection since Constitutional interpretation isn't allowed. Sorry Granma.

3 Comments:

At 3/3/06 3:36 AM, Blogger TBLJ said...

Yes our country is divided and as long as we have politicians who play politics we we will continue to be polarized.

Also, we live in a very diverse country that should be willing to embrace all of our differences, but as long as we are all represented by old white men our country will never be able to embrace that diversity. Our highest court in the land should represent that diversity but it does not.

 
At 3/3/06 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that sometimes I read your entries and I get a little discouraged. There is so much hate in the world that when I read about it, I find myself feeling a little hopeless. I know that there is a lot of love in the world, and I know you and your boyfriend share a great life together. Maybe sometimes, it would be good, too, to share some stories you find of positivity in the gay community. It's never good to ignore the scary part of life; we don't need to become complacent. But, every so often, I could use something uplifiting. Love your blog -- long time fan.

 
At 3/3/06 3:28 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks for posting tblj. Very good points.

Sparky, there's nothing good about the gay community.

Kidding, kidding. It's just that the more negative stuff is what gets me riled up and eager to write. I'll try to focus on the good stuff more often too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home