Friday, September 12, 2008

Shelter In Place

I don't know what it's like where you guys are from, but it's basically pandimonium here in Houston. I'm talking lines for gas 20 cars long, people fighting over bags of ice, etc. I'm sure you've heard (well it's all we hear on tv here at least), but we're currently right in the path of hurricane Ike. So far Houston it supposed to get hit with a category 2 hurricane, and the city is basically losing its mind.

I evacuated a few years back for hurricane Rita, and we decided to stay put this time. I don't know why, but I actually want to be in my house to keep an eye on it or something. Plus, even though I'm from Houston, I've never actually been in a real hurricane, so I'm a bit interested to know what it's going to be like.

The mayor has asked residents of Houston to "shelter in place," which basically means stay home, rather than evacuate. The city is worried that the catastrophe that was the Rita evacuation will happen all over again, but now I'm a bit concerned that he's encouraged 4 million people not to leave when a really destructive storm is about to hit. The PR from that could potentially be really bad.

I'm going to do my best to take pictures and what not. I think I'll be fine until I lose electricity, but after that I might lose my mind. 95 degree weather with no A/C for how ever many days could really be brutal. I'm not looking forward to that, let me tell you.

Well, wish me luck everyone. If all continues as planned, I will probably have some very interesting stories coming out of this. See you in a few days!

5 Comments:

At 12/9/08 8:53 AM, Blogger Jay said...

I'll be praying for you guys' safety. I'm from NC, so I feel like I have some hurricane expertise. A Cat. 2 isn't much to sneeze at, but then again I'm from a small town where the houses are miles apart and debris can fly for quite a ways and not hit anything. So I just hope you all stay safe and get to enjoy the ride! :)

 
At 12/9/08 8:58 AM, Blogger KipEsquire said...

Stay safe and dry!

 
At 13/9/08 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope y'all are alright and everything.

 
At 17/9/08 12:42 AM, Blogger Robert W. White said...

hi brady, i hope all is well.
p.s. please find some electricity and post again soon so we know you're doing ok.
and p.p.s i know you can't read this until you do have electricity, so... yeah.. welcome back?

 
At 17/9/08 11:19 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Jay- thanks for the advice. You were right, that hurricane was definitely not messing around.

Kip- Thanks!

Matty V- Thanks to you too!

Rbo- I'm glad you commented...it reminded me that I should give you guys an update (even if it is from work). Glad to be back ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home