Friday, August 01, 2008

Shooting at Gay-Friendly Church

I was out of town at a family reunion in South Texas this weekend and through part of the week, and I'll admit I haven't been watching the news (or reading it online) as much as I usually do, but how on earth did I miss this?

A man walked into a gay-friendly church in Knoxville, TN, during Sunday services last Sunday and opened fire, killing two people and injuring at least 7 others, 5 seriously. The shooter later told police that he had intended to kill everyone inside the church, and many in the community believe the gay-friendliness of the church is a possible motive. What an unbelievable tragedy.

Had this been a school shooting, I feel like I would have seen high level news footage for weeks. Much like schools, people go to church expecting to feel safe and be protected from the dangers of the outside world. So, did I just miss all the news coverage of this shooting, or did it not get the coverage we've come to expect from similar mass shootings?

Incidentally, neither of the two victims that lost their lives were gay. Not that that matters, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Check out Box Turtle Bulletin for tons of coverage on this tragedy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home