Thursday, June 19, 2008

Patriotic Pandering

I got some junk mail at my office today that was an advertisement selling little flags to put in your car window. They're the kind that have a base that rolls up into the window so the flag can flap in the wind. The ad says it's perfect for company picnics. Maybe I haven't been to enough company picnics to know that's a popular thing to do at them.

Here's the funny part--when I opened the mailer, across the top it says, "Not since 9-11 has the flag been needed more!"

Wait a minute. What? Did I miss something? What's happened recently to make this the most important time to fly a cheesy flag from my car window? I mean, the war in Iraq has been going on forever, so it's not that. Same with the "war on terror," so not that either. I'm stumped.

I guess I'll just chalk it up to a little patriotic pandering. This kind of feels like those televangelists that get trusting old people to donate money to their "ministries" in the name of Jesus.

Whatever it is, I guess I'm just not going to be one of those "patriotic companies [that can] give one to each employee as a symbol of their employer's pride in America." Wow. See how tricky they are? Now I'm not patriotic for not buying their cheesy stuff. This is just blowing my mind.

Some people will do anything for a buck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home