Friday, April 25, 2008

American Family Association SPAM

Sorry for the blogging silence lately. Work and personal life have been pretty hectic, and, in all honesty, I just haven't been too motivated lately to do much, let alone write. I'm trying to shake that feeling, so hopefully it will soon be a thing of the past.

Anyway, I got a very interesting email from the American Family Association today. What was it? Well, as you might have guessed from the title of this email, it was unsolicited spam. Unlike some of my fellow bloggers, I don't subscribe to the newsletters of far right organizations. I think they'd make me slowly lose my mind. Apparently, the AFA is going to make sure they get me an email whether or not I want it, though. So, I got the email without asking for it. Oddly enough, there's no "opt-out" email address or instructions. Doesn't that violate some sort of law?

On to the email itself. Notice the scare tactic of bringing up how our kids are in jeopardy. Who doesn't want to save our kids? Well, I guess at least they didn't tell me I had won some sort of international lottery.

Here's the text of the email:

I hope you will consider joining AFA ActionAlert...

What kind of society are we leaving our children?

Millions of mothers and fathers across the country are concerned about the kind of society we are leaving our children. Violence, vulgarity, profanity, sexual exploitation. The list is long. Have you felt helpless? Would you like to do something to stem the tide? You can.

American Family Association's AFA ActionAlert gives you the opportunity to actually do something for our children and their future. AFA ActionAlert is the largest pro-family, pro-traditional values website in America. Nearly 3,000,000 people just like you have joined hands to make their voices heard.

Please consider joining with others who care. Join the AFA ActionAlert team. Our children need us.

Here is the link you will need to sign up:

https://secure.afa.net/afa/activism/subscribers/signup.aspx?rid=0

Thanks!

3 Comments:

At 1/5/08 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a college professor - political science - who was a bit of a cynic. He taught us that most politicians aren't much different from one another - Democrat or Republican. He made a joke that whenever a politician is asked, "Why?" they always respond, "It's for the children." From that point on, if we didn't know an answer we'd say, "It's for the children."

Listening to the pols running for office now, I realize maybe he wasn't joking.

 
At 6/5/08 3:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6/5/08 3:14 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Pepe- I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home