Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Coming Out

An email from a friend of mine:

"My weekend wasn't so great. I told my parents. My dad just sat there and mumbled to himself. My mom ran into her room and started screaming NOO for like 15 minutes like an animal. Then she caming running after me screaming, "get out of my house you f***ing fa**ot." My dad tackled her before she got to me and I ran out of the house in my socks."

Man, and I thought my coming out was rough. This is honestly the worst coming out story I've heard from someone I know personally. The good news is that his dad met him later that day to tell him he didn't understand, but that'd he'd support him and wanted to keep the family together. However, he also told him that he was pretty sure his mom was no longer coming to his graduation.

Pretty unbelievable stuff. That's the unique thing about being gay and coming out. It's one of the only things I can think of where people actually have to consider that their "loving" families might turn on them and never look back. Hopefully his parents come around because if not, this one conversation possibly just changed his life forever.

6 Comments:

At 9/4/08 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly tragic!

-- Jarred.

 
At 9/4/08 11:51 AM, Blogger Creative Thinker said...

OMG - I can so believe it. I just came out to my dad. That went ok, as I kind of expected it would. My mom is another story altogether. She is ultra-conservative and has no tolerance for gays. I don't plan on telling her anytime soon. Poor guy...I wish I could reach out and hug him...

 
At 16/4/08 6:16 PM, Blogger Pomoprophet said...

How can a mother do that?

 
At 18/4/08 6:36 AM, Blogger Rabbit Engine said...

that is crazy. I don't understand how the "gay=bad" paradigm became so entrenched that 3 words can completely invert people attitudes to their own children!

 
At 24/4/08 6:39 AM, Blogger Queers United said...

that is horrible, i am so sorry to hear that story. i think its best to get a sense of how people may react before just coming out to them. you should reach out to support groups for lgbt people in your area.

http://www.queersunited.blogspot.com

 
At 12/5/08 12:17 PM, Blogger me said...

that is sad. my mom found out yesterday...or actually God told her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home