Friday, February 22, 2008

ESPN's (almost) Gay Bash

Let me start by saying that I've never been involved in any type of anti-gay confrontation. I've never had anyone call me a fag, like pomo recently did, I've never been threatened, and I most certainly have never been beaten up because I'm gay. That's not to say that these types of things don't happen. I've just been lucky enough to not have them happen to me.

Obviously, not everyone's so lucky. Recently LZ Granderson, a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine, wasn't as lucky as me, and now that it's over, I'm sure he's just feeling lucky that he didn't have to go to the hospital. Just last week while in New Orleans for the NBA All Star Game, the sports writer literally thought he might die at the hands of an anti-gay crowd. While walking through the craziness of the French Quarter, LZ was picked out of a crowd and berated for being gay. As he tried to ignore the taunts, they got worse and more people joined in. Soon enough, Granderson was surrounded, and had it not been for some nearby police officers, violence would have been next.

All because he's gay. What an unbelievable phenomenon.

In the article, Granderson calls for the NFL to take a stronger stance against homophobia (a call I've heard gay people make to other organizations recently too), and he unabashedly tells his readers that he does have an agenda. He "want[s] a country where it isn't OK to get the snot kicked out of you because you're different."

I love that he came out and said it, because for all of the rhetoric coming from the far-right and the anti-gay folks, the reality is that gay agenda has nothing to do with trying to turn kids gay or destroying the morality, history, and traditions of western civilization. It's all about wanting to live in a world where getting beaten up just for being gay isn't a concern. It's about not having to worry that walking down the street and just looking "too gay" might turn into a black eye. It's about human decency.

So, let me go on record with LZ and say that I've got an agenda too. Call it the gay agenda--the real gay agenda. I'm here to show people (in this blog and in realy life) how normal gay people really are in hopes that someday I won't have to read these kind of stories anymore. In my little way, I'm going to spread the gay agenda.

(hat tip: Ex-Gay Watch)

4 Comments:

At 22/2/08 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How proud I am of you that you embrace who you are and that you are happy and well adjusted! It saddens me that there are people out there that express their bigotry in violence and hate. But those are not the only ones that are harming our society. Even more dangerous are those that use the church and skewed interpretations of the bible to poison the minds of our youth and adults into thinking that all of this is OK. These so called Christians missed the simple childhood song that says “red or yellow, black or white, we are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.”
In my little way, in my closed minded church, in your sister’s school, and in my daily life, I too will spread the gay agenda. What a great kid (and son-in law) I have! I love you! Mom

 
At 22/2/08 2:41 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks, lakelady (it feels weird to call you mom on here ;-). I was just telling a friend today how lucky I am to have the kind of support behind me that you give.

 
At 22/2/08 10:54 PM, Blogger Pomoprophet said...

Im now on your list and I get a shout out in a post! I wish it was under better circumstances :/

Ive never really liked the "gay agenda" But that night something changed. I now see it as you do. I never want to feel that again or to have anyone else feel it. And mine was just a drive by name calling. Not something like getting threatened. Ive never understood how people could hate like that.

Theres lots of people I dont like and even groups I whole heartedly agree with but I could never do something like that. Maybe cause I've got morals... I dunno

 
At 23/2/08 8:06 AM, Blogger Brady said...

"Maybe cause I've got morals... I dunno"

While I'm not one to go on the moral brigage, I think you hit the nail on the head in this instance.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. How awful.

Oh, and you've been on my blogroll for a while, kid ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home