Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Arizona Tries Again

Sometimes people just won't quit. Even though Arizona voters defeated a Constitutional amdendment to ban gay marriage, domestic parternships, and civil unions in 2006, the lawmakers in that state are trying again, hoping to send a new anti-gay marriage proposal to voters.

These guys already tried once, and the voters made their voices heard. Do they just get to keep training until they win? Apparently so. As much as I think the "our taxpayer money would be better spent elsewhere" argument is a fairly weak one, it's pretty accurate in this case.

Look, you tried, it failed, give up. Do people really want to discriminate this badly that they will just foam at the mouth until they get their way? Maybe they should call Massachusetts and find out that they still have the lowest divorce rates in the country. See, the sky really won't fall.

2 Comments:

At 12/2/08 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of getting my gay card revoked, I can't say as I totally blame them for trying again. At least no more so than I blamed them for trying the first time.

Let's face it, if we try to get legislation that would protect our rights passed and come up short, we're just going to try again later. So it only makes sense that the other side would do the same exact thing.

Yes, I think we're the ones in the right so our legislation should get passed while theirs should never see the light of day. But if I'm being totally honest, I totally understand their perseverence and desire to try again. Because quite frankly, I have that same quality in me.

Having said that, here's to hoping they fail miserably yet again.

-- Jarred.

 
At 13/2/08 11:27 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Seithman- J and I actually talked about your comment. You have a good point. It still irks me, especially since they claim they're doing what the people want...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home