Thursday, December 20, 2007

Just In Case You Believe Bill O'Reilly

Just in case you believe it when Bill O'Reilly and other folks tell you the world (or this country at least) is a liberal breeding ground and conservatives are the only real minorities left, here are two stories for you to check out:

A student at a NY high school was sent home from school for wearing a shirt that said, "gay? fine by me." The good news is that the school issued an apology. Their initial reaction, though, was to punish the student. Not so liberal if you ask me.

Intent on proving that his conservative views weren't tolerated, a student at Princeton faked his own assault and threatening emails to himself and his conservative friends. It turns out that liberals (or other students) didn't hate him as much has he wanted them to.

3 Comments:

At 21/12/07 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think what bothers me most about the incident with the school and the tee shirt is the mentality underlying the principal's reason for sending the student home. I can certainly understand his concern over the disruption that an anti-gay response might cause, but the proper way to deal with that situation is by disciplining those making the disruption (and making it clear that such disciplinary action will be taken to discourage such disruptions in the first place). Sending the student with the tee shirt home is merely an act of punishing her because some of her classmates might not yet have learned how to behave appropriately. How any educator could see that as a rational course of action is sincerely beyond me.

 
At 22/12/07 12:51 AM, Blogger Pomoprophet said...

people on BOTH sides are doin this crap.

 
At 24/12/07 7:18 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Pomo- I agree, don't worry. At the time of the post, I had just seen an episode of O'Reilly (well the night before) and when I saw these stories, it just struck me.

Jarred- good point for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home