Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Reflecting

Someone commented on the "I Used To Hate Being Gay" post I made last year that I also sent off to the Advocate (side note: one of my coworkers was googling my real name for some reason and came across the letter as well).

The poster was a 16-year old guy named James that's dealing with being gay and having a fairly rough time. It sounds like he's basically going through what I was going through back then. Really all I could say to him was that things will get better. I hope he realizes that.

After reading his comments and my post over again, I decided to go back and do some reading of my blog. In the 3 years or so I've had the blog, I've probably only done that twice. I've never really kept a journal at all, so it was quite interesting to read my posts and remember where I was in life, how things have changed, even how my writing interests have changed (and it hasn't really been all that long). It's an experience I'm not used to, but I enjoyed it. Now I just have to get back to posting more often again.

3 Comments:

At 28/11/07 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice that he also indicates that he's Catholic. Might I suggest sending him a link to Seething Mom's blog? It might be helpful for him to make contact with a fantastic woman who is Catholic (though she doesn't identify with Catholocism as much these days) and is fiercely supportive of her gay son. As an aside, her son unintentionally outed himself to her when he was just a year or two older than James. The story of how she and her husband found out is on the blog, and well worth reading. As is her son's essay.

 
At 28/11/07 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven’t commented on your blog in a while, but the title of your post today has prompted me to reflect on my knowing you.

I’ve met you pretty much when you first started your blog. As the blog itself has documented in e-time your transformation into a man more comfortable in his own skin, I’m happy to say that I have been one of the lucky ones able to witness this blossoming in real time. The journey has worn well on you, my friend; you are becoming more and more each day a person of substantial worth simply because you know who you are. And more importantly, because you love who you are.

 
At 29/11/07 7:04 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Shorty- wow, that is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Thanks. I'm happy to call you one of my closest friends.

Jarred- thanks for commenting and the link. I read some of the blog, and I think I may post about it soon (I need to update you on my blogroll too). Her blog is so wrought with raw emotion that I actually had to stop reading for a bit to gather myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home