Friday, October 12, 2007

Belated National Coming Out Day

Yesterday was National Coming out Day. I meant to write a post about it, but I got tied up with work at the office and cleaning when I got home (J's parents are visiting this weekend, and his sister just moved out of our house last week, so we've got our hands full).

Anyway, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to make a post about the day, because I think it's important. Sure, it's just another day, but I never really took part in Coming Out Day in school when I should have, and coming out was such a positive event (series of events?) in my life, that I feel like it's important to at least acknowledge the day.

I honestly believe that coming out and no longer hiding my sexuality, my relationship with J, etc., has allowed me to be the person I am today. I'm sure I've said that before on this blog, but it's worth repeating.

Interestingly, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine that is in his younger thirties about being out the other day. He's not out at work or to his family, and thinks being out in those areas of his life will hinder his ability to be successful in business. He said it's a trust thing--that if people know he's gay, they won't trust him enough to create the bond that's necessary to do business together. I adamantly disagree, and I think he's living in the world he went to high school in--a world where that may have been true. These days I feel like he's just confused. I'm glad I've been able to leave those thoughts behind. Fretting about thoughts like that just isn't healthy for anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home