Thursday, May 15, 2008

Gay Marriages in California

*Update*

The California Supreme Court just ruled 4-3 to overturn the state's ban on gay marriage. This could make California the second, and largest, state to legalize gay marriage.

This is very exciting news. The sky didn't fall in Massachusetts, and it won't fall in California either. I'm just hoping that this doesn't stir up political fodder for the upcoming election, once again leaving gays as the scapegoat in a partisan war over voters. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

*Update*: I was just eating lunch at a sandwich place, and CNN was on the news. There were discussing this story, and I was reading the closed captioning intently. A woman next to me leaned towards me to get a better view of the tv and said to herself, "only in California" in a disbelieving tone. I wanted to say something, even if it was just, "and Massachusetts," but I refrained.

2 Comments:

At 15/5/08 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Box Turtle Bulletin has pointed out that three of the four justices who support the majority opinion are Republicans and were appointed by Republican governors. I think drawing attention to that fact should help mitigate any political fallout from the decision. It's kind of hard to claim "liberal activism" when the justices involved don't appear to be liberals. ;)

At worst, it might convince a significant number of ultra-conservative people that the Republican's can't be trusted any more than the Democrats, pushing them to support third party candidates. ;)

 
At 27/5/08 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am getting married as soon as this state is READY !!! I even have a husband ready to wed :-) LUCKY me !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home