Friday, September 26, 2008

Life After Ike

Well, life after Ike has resumed and has been kind of normal...kind of.

I'm going to work and coming home and all of that usual stuff, but I still have no cable or internet at my house. I'm sad to admit (well maybe not that sad) that me without cable tv or internet equals very bored. But, at least I'm at home.

About 25% of the city is still out of power, including about half of my neighborhood, and driving around at night with no street lights is a really strange feeling. We've been under a curfew of 12am-6am, which means all restaurants, bars, clubs, music venues, etc. have been closing before then. The "gay neighborhood" still has no power, so I haven't really ventured down that way.

The grocery stores are just now getting restocked, and as of Monday or so, most of the gas stations have gas and keep it long enough to avoid waiting in line. Even schools started back up this week.

But, over 50% of the traffic lights in the city are still out, and I've never seen traffic be so bad in my life. Drive times for some people have gone from a reasonable 30-45 minutes to an insane 1.5-2.5 hours just to get to and from work.

I still haven't had my insurance adjuster come by, and the pile of wet carpet is still on the curb in front of my house. The city says it could be next summer before they are able to find the manpower to remove all of the curbside debris (on a side note--maybe I should rent a trailer and start charging people to remove their stuff).

My bedroom is still a bare, and very dusty, concrete floor, and my living room is still littered with bed frame pieces, a dresser, and other misplaced bedroom furniture. They'll both be like that for a while, but I'm sure I'm going to love my new and improved room.

All in all, we're safe, and my house is still standing. It could definitely be worse, and I'm sure these minor inconveniences will be over soon.

2 Comments:

At 26/9/08 11:37 AM, Blogger KipEsquire said...

Best wishes for a smooth return. =)

 
At 7/10/08 12:42 PM, Blogger WIDNEY WOMAN said...

I hope all goes well for you on getting back to normal after Ike.

We experienced an ice storm last year. Power was out for several days, weeks for some friends. It was hard, because everyone we knew was affected in some way. The places we would normally find refuge were in need of refuge themselves. The streets were lined with debris. Homes were destroyed. It felt like we were living in an end-of-the-world movie scene.

I had thought people that criticized FEMA were exaggerating. Nope. They told our city all these things. Made all these promises. In the end, they didn't deliver on most of their promises.

Hopefully, if FEMA promises your area something, they will deliver.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home