Tuesday, June 28, 2005

No Child Abuse at Love In Action

I haven't said much about this Love In Action ordeal because everyone else has been all over it, and I wasn't really sure what to think.

The state of Tennessee was investigating an Exodus member ministry for alleged child abuse. Luckily, the state decided there was no child abuse going on (good news for sure). The allegations somehow came along when a 16 year old boy was sent to the Love In Action outpatient treatment center to cure him of his gayness against his will. You can read Ex-Gay Watch coverage here and here. There is more coverage there too.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I was over at the Exodus blog and read that these charges of child abuse had been declared unfounded. Of course, being that Love In Action is a member ministry, it makes sense that the blog picked up this story. What struck me as odd, though, was that the blog didn't pick up the earlier story about Zack or the initial announcement by the Tennessee CPS that they were investigating Love In Action (this was caught by the AP wire and some mainstream press outlets, and was all over the gay press). It seems a little weird to come out and declare that all charges had been found unsubstantiated when (presumably) their readers didn't even know there had been allegations at all. I wonder if they would have reported on the story if the Love In Action investigation had gone further.

Of course, all of this is aside from the fact that Exodus claims only to take voluntary individuals into their organizations.

3 Comments:

At 29/6/05 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man! Just so you know...I added your link to my blog! I read yours and keep up with it most of the time! I sometimes can see myself in your life! lol! anyways, my blog is www.joshtippy.com

take it easy! By the way...I am Josh!

 
At 29/6/05 3:54 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Hey Josh. Thanks for adding me! I'll add you too, but it may be tomorrow--I'm on my way out now.

I like your blog too, thanks for showing it too me.

Out of curiosity, how did you find your way to my blog?

 
At 1/7/05 1:13 PM, Blogger Stereo Penguin said...

The group of us over at free zach are doing a postcard campaign to send Zach some words of support. It’s a statement in itself, because if even half the group sends a card or letter, it will be 2,000 messages flooding the Refuge camp’s mailbox. That would be hard to ignore. Spread the word.

Zach
c/o Refuge
P.O. Box 171444
Memphis, TN 38187

 

Post a Comment

<< Home