Friday, June 24, 2005

Ben Fires Back

I'm not sure I want to continue writing about Scattered Words, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I definitely do want to write about Ben's latest post and comments because they were fairly directly pointed at me.

I'll respond to the post first:

"First, is that you're not the first. You're one of a few dozen who's waltzed onto this site thinking you know what I believe and why and that you can proceed to tell me all about it. You think you've got my number and that you're imparting some great, academic revelation to me."
-I don't claim to, and never have claimed to, know what you believe. I don't think I am imparting any type of academic revelation to you. I'm simply speaking my mind on the subject, just as you are. Are you trying to impart some great academic revelation to me?

"You don't and you're not. I've devoted myself to the Bible. I've memorized entire books of it and studied its ancient languages. I've disected it, I've engaged in thorough exegesis of almost every part of it. "
-I applaud you for that. I certainly cannot say the same for myself. There are plenty of others that have, though, and some do disagree with you on many areas of it, even still.

"I find it hard to believe that you'd question the guidance and knowledge of a doctor or a lawyer or someone similarily trained in-depth in a certain field, as I am in the Bible."
-I was unaware that you had a PhD in Biblical Studies. Even still, people seek second opinions from lawyers and Dr.'s all of the time.

"There's very little in the Christian life that's open to interpretation. "
-I'll call the dozens of different dissenting Christian Churches and let them know. I'd offer that there is lots more open to interpretation than most will admit, just look around.

"And while I'm on the subject, stop holding me accountable for every imperfection you can find in the church. I'm not the church, I'm me. "
-I hold you accountable for your own views, and the church for theirs. But, if the Church is going to choose to let some sins be deemed "ok" and others are going to cause the "moral destruction of the world," then I think it is fair to point that out. There is pretty obviously a bias.

"And when I tell you you don't understand -- maybe instead of going of in a huff you should stop and think about what part of puzzle you're missing."
-Trust me, I do. I hope you would do the same instead of so often claiming the glory and rightness of your own words. Even the most knowing pastors and men of God have been wrong, and admit that they might be wrong sometimes. Don't think you are wrong on this? Fine. But, claiming to be right in all things, always doesn't seem to be a good message.

"You fail to understand the signification of being created in the image of God and the significance of bodies transformed into temples -- "
-What were you saying about me thinking I knew you?

"If the church devotes more attention to it than other issues, it's because the church understands what's at stake."
-One of my examples was sexual sin vs. sexual sin. Treated very differently.

" I frankly don't care how happy you are that you've rationalized your faith away so you can believe God is happy to leave you an incomplete, broken shell -- never realizing the full potential of life and love and service he created you for. "
-Fine, but some people do care about the happiness of others. And some, maybe even most gay people are happy, and people should know that. And, I think I am realizing the full potential of God's love just as I am. You can call me deceived if you want, but I have my own relationship with God. I've never questioned yours (I've only ever questioned how you portray gays and respond to those who disagree with you), so please don't question mine.

And, from the comments:

"And for extraneous commenters who fear my response but throw stones from the safety of their own sites -- when I start claiming my sin is ordained by God as most gays do -- then you've got reason to worry. "
-I certainly don't fear your responses. I left your blog after you specifically asked me to. As for claiming your sin is ordained by God, I think in your focus on not being gay, you may have missed some of the many others. But, I don't have a PhD in Biblical Literature like you.

6 Comments:

At 24/6/05 10:05 AM, Blogger Brett said...

Hey, Brady. Ben's post today is too rich. And entertaining in a dark and disturbing kinda way.

I love it that he thinks people who "throw rocks" at Ben's blog from the so-called safety of their own are in fear of him. He continually throws rocks at ex-gaywatch from his site. I guess he too must be terrified that Mike A. will give him the smackdown.

Anyway, nice response. I appreciate that you're good at responding but not being belligerent like him. Me, I just go there. ;)

Have a great weekend.

 
At 24/6/05 12:06 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks Brett, much appreciated.

Good to see you blogging again. Missed you for a while...

 
At 28/6/05 8:49 AM, Blogger Dædalux said...

Yeah - that Scattered Words guy is nuts. I wouldn't fret too much over him, but I understand how fustrating it can be to try to engage in a dialogue when the other party refuses to acknowledge what you're actually saying. Even if they choose to disagree in the end, it amazes me how some won't even listen.

I found it especially strange to read how he's such an expert on the bible, but his rant continues to be broad and vague - rather than exhibit specific understanding of it. The commenter (Alec) who said, "Cry victim, foul and distract...is that your strategy when addressing the counterarguments?" was right on.

 
At 30/6/05 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brady,

I found your site via Scattered Words. I'll say that I struggle with homosexuality, but I won't call myself ex-gay. Because of Christ's death on the cross, we take our identity as a redeemed child of God...not as homosexual, lesbian, ex-gay or ex-ex-gay. Someone who habitually lies doesn't take the identity of a liar.

I saw this comment on your site, and I'd like to comment on your comment. :-) I'm a Christian and I am one of the ones who believes that homosexuality is not normal. But I want to counter it with this: I believe and realize that God loves me, and you, AS WE ARE. Simply struggling with homosexuality and even engaging in sexual activity and a love relationship is a sin like any other, and will not prevent you from experiencing God's love. I know you know this, but I want to let you see that I don't believe that God is angry with homosexuals...he loves them. Rather, I believe that although He accepts us where we are, where we are is not always His best for us. I believe that actively living homosexualty is not God's best for us.

 
At 30/6/05 9:10 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Hey Anonymous,

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate them. Your views are more inline with what I wish the views of others were. I realize that many people believe being gay is a sin, but the message of love is too often lost in all of that. Best of luck.

 
At 30/6/05 9:16 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Anonymous-

One quick question for you. How did you find my site through Scattered Words? I don't think I have commented on there after I started this blog or that Ben has linked to me in any way. Maybe I'm mistaken though? Just curious...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home