Tuesday, June 07, 2005

My Governor Doesn't Like Veterans (if they are gay that is)

Ok, so maybe the headline of this post is a little bit extreme, but as much as most Republicans and Conservatives talk about how much they love our troops ad nauseum, Perry sure doesn't go out of his way to talk about how much he appreciates the service of gay servicemen and women in his state. (Note: Don't get me wrong, our troops deserve all of the praise in the world, but I feel like some conservative pundits and hosts give the praise to make a point, and for the image, not necessarily because they are being genuine).

Anyway, the quote from Perry really was gem. Perry said "Texans have made a decision about marriage and if there is some other state that has a more lenient view than Texas then maybe that's a better place for them to live." I got that from a Dallas/FW news station's web site. Thanks to the Pink Dome for turning me on to the quote.

Yikes! Not even an attempt to pretend that they can still have their relationships personally, religiously, just not governmentally? And notice how he says, "if there is some other state." Obviously these states do exist, so why the big ole "if" clause? The implication is almost a "too bad so sad" scenario.

I really don't want to even get into the fact that he signed this bill even though it didn't need to be signed or that he signed it in a church and made numerous religious references and shared the podium with several pastors, but I'll at least mention it. You know what, I have no problem with our governor being Christian. I am Christian and I tell anyone that asks (and lots that don't). I don't have a problem at all with him going to church or mentioning God in his speeches. But, signing a bill at a church? Doesn't that even kind of sound weird?" Would the conservatives out there think it was ok if a governor went into a mosque surrounded by Muslim leaders who said prayers and talked about Muslim values and how the state should and does represent them?

One day we will look back at this charade and laugh at how silly this absurd pandering to a voter block really was. I can't wait for that day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home