Monday, May 16, 2005

Changing Perceptions

I went to my boyfriend's hometown this weekend for a graduation. We stayed with his family and hung out on Saturday with his childhood best friend. She recently has started dating a rising country star that has a bit of local fame here, and we decided to use this to our advantage when going out.

My boyfriend has never met this new guy before, and we really didn't know what to expect. More importantly, though, is that he had never met us before, and he expressed some reservations to his girlfriend about meeting and hanging out with us because he had never met a gay person before (or at least never hung out with one).

Dinner went very smoothly, and the guy is very nice. We went from there to Karaoke where he sang a song for us. It really isn't fair when professionals sing at Karaoke. He brought down the place. Anyway, in the ride over to the Karaoke bar, the new boyfriend told his girlfriend how much he enjoyed dinner with us. Apparently he repeated that sentiment several times whenever the two of them were out of our ear shot. As we were heading out he even playfully asked me to dance and by the end of the night, he offered hugs to both of us (I usually shake hands with people I have just met, especially guys).

Well, that is the weekend in a nutshell. This new boyfriend really made an impression on me, and I hope I made one on him as well. It is amazing how someone can go from being nervous about hanging out with a gay person one minute and then really enjoying himself with one the next. Gay people really aren't the monsters you hear about out there.

1 Comments:

At 17/5/05 6:34 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks for your comment Victor.

I wasn't nervous about meeting him at all, I just didn't know what to expect from a guy I had never met.

I also didn't find out he was nervous about meeting us until after we had met him.

My point is that he wasn't a homophobe in the first place, he had just never met a gay person before, and I am glad he seems to have liked the first two he met.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home