Friday, November 14, 2008

Anti-Gay, Anti-Family

I'd like to start by encouraging all of my pro-gay readers to participate in the Nationwide protests occurring this Saturday at 12:30pm Central Time. The protest will be occurring at the city halls of major cities across the nation. Please go to www.jointheimpact.com for more information. This is important, so please participate!

Now on to the post. You know, all of the backers of these anti-gay ballot measures talk about how they're pro-family. Heck, many of the groups on the front lines of getting these initiatives passed have the word "family" in their names. Unfortunately, anti-family would be more like it.

Marriage initiatives aside on this one--let's look at the recent adoption ban that passed in Arkansas, making it illegal for non-married couples to adopt or foster children. The anti-gay folks, as you might imagine, are claiming that kids are best raised by a mother and a father, and nothing else should be allowed. I guess it sounds ok on it's face, but it ignores some pretty basic facts.

First, the state of Arkansas has thousands of children in state custody that are waiting for adoptions or foster parents. I have a very hard time believing that they are going to be better off in state custody than in the home of a loving gay couple or unmarried straight couple, or loving single person for that matter. To think otherwise is just silly. But with this new law, more kids will stay in state custody.

Second, though, and this is very personal to me--I have a 12 year old sister that lives with my mom and step-dad. I also have a twin brother in law school and a younger brother that does not have a job, and hasn't in quite a while. If my family lived in Arkansas, and something happened to my parents, God forbid, my sister would not be able to live with J and me. It doesn't matter that we are very well equipped to provide for her (much better equipped than either of my brothers at this point). It doesn't matter that she is my sister. According to the new Arkansas law, the state would rip apart my family and send my sister elsewhere.

But somehow I'm supposed to believe this initiative is pro-family. Right.

Now if the rest of the world could see through this nonsense for what it really is, we'd be in good shape.

3 Comments:

At 14/11/08 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna be at the protests in the morning. I'm not sure if I'm gonna go to the one in San Francisco or Oakland. I feel like the one in Oakland will need more people at it because everyone that lives in East Bay will flock over to San Francisco.

And the Arkansas proposition is awful. Apparently no parents are better than gay parents.

I feel like gay families have more love in them then straight families. Gay couples choose to have a kid. I forget the statistics, but most children are conceived accidentally. Of course, most parents are elated, but they may not always be in the best position to provide for their children, and in some cases, even after the child is born, the parents just don't care about the kid.

With gay parents, they really want the kid and jump through all the necessary hoops to adopt or conceive. A child enters a gay household after a long series of careful considerations. The child will undoubtedly be loved.

It's a shame that so many people fail to see this.

 
At 18/11/08 2:17 PM, Blogger gs.rusty said...

I wish I could join you, but unfortunately I live on the other side of the planet.

I do not understand at all why gay people should not have the same rights as others. It makes no sense.

 
At 19/11/08 12:39 PM, Blogger Pomoprophet said...

We've gotta keep the visibility up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home