Saturday, November 18, 2006

UCLA Taser Incident

I just watched the video of the UCLA student getting tasered in the library for refusing to follow police officers' orders. J actually had to leave the room because it was so disturbing. From the screams, I counted 6 different times the cops tasered this kid. The video is pretty hard to watch, but it's worth looking at if you think you can handle it.

The student definitely was being uncompliant with the officers, so I realize the cops needed to do something. But, he wasn't being dangerous at all and he wasn't threatening the safety of anyone in any way. Two officers had him pinned on the ground and were trying to get him to stand up. He wasn't fighting them, he was just yelling at them and refusing to stand.

So, that's my problem. Several people have died over the last few years after being tasered, and tasering is obviously extrememly painful.

Given this, I'm of the opinion that tasers should be used only in circumstances that require a weapon. This kid refused to stand up, but in the end he never did stand up, and the officers had to carry him out of the library. The tasering was excessive use of force and it was completely unnecessary, especially the number of times that they used it. It's sad to see, and I hope the UCLA-launched investigation sets a precedent that tasers are weapons that shouldn't be used regularly.

5 Comments:

At 19/11/06 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yah i watched it earlier, it is quite disturbing...glad you posted about this.

 
At 22/11/06 12:05 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks rewfio. Additional question to anyone--given tasers are so dangerous and painful (although usually not lethal), should cops be allowed to use water cannons, rubber bullets, etc. on passive protesters also?

Dangerous or violent protesters I can see, but passive ones?

 
At 23/11/06 8:08 AM, Blogger grace said...

Brady,
Wanted to stop by and let you know that I'm thankful for you....your perspective has enriched my life. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure you were one of the very first to begin dialogue with me at my blog. You have blessed me with opportunities to care for others as I would myself. What a blessing!
love and grace,
pam

 
At 24/11/06 7:41 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Pam- I read this comment last night, and it made me smile from ear to ear. Thanks so much for letting me know, and please know that the feeling is mutual. I hope you got my card recently too :-)

 
At 24/11/06 8:00 AM, Blogger grace said...

Yes! I did get it! Been meaning to let you know that! :) You're very sweet!
pam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home