Wednesday, October 11, 2006

It's National Coming Out Day

I didn't realize it until this morning, but today is National Coming Out Day.

While National Coming Out Day crossed my mind in the past while I was still in the closet, I never really participated in it. I'm completely out now (as of the week before my wedding or so), so I doubt I'll do anything about it today either, but I realize the day has a positive and encouraging message for tons of people out there (it certainly did for me, even if I never participated in the day). Sometimes it's easy to forget that their are lots of supporters out there, especially when you're in the closet.

In honor of the day, you should check out a great comedy strip by Bruce Garrett about his coming out stories as a teenager in the early 1970's (I can't even imagine how much courage that had to take).

Also, Pam has a great post up about the day, what it means, and some interesting stats about gay folks.

The HRC has a bunch of stuff on their website, including a guide for straight folks on how to support their gay friends and the gay community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home