Thursday, August 24, 2006

Want to Feel Old?

Every year or so around this time the Beloit College Mindset List comes out to let everyone know what incoming college freshmen experienced (and didn't experience) while growing up. I get a kick out of this thing every year that I see it, and this year isn't any exception.

The first thing that got me on this oneis that most incoming freshman this year were born in 1988. I was close to middle school then. Oddly enough, when I hear someone is in college, I feel more of a connection to them than I do when I hear about a young thirty-something. Is that just me? I'm holding on to every bit of my youth, I guess.

Here's some more stuff on the list (and my comments). Some I like, some I'm not so crazy about:

1. The Soviet Union has never existed and therefore is about as scary as the student union. (Now that is crazy!).

2. They have known only two presidents.

14. The Moral Majority has never needed an organization. (Really? I think they just renamed it).

19. "Google" has always been a verb. (I'm not so sure about that--Google came along after they were pretty old already).

24. Madden has always been a game, not a Superbowl-winning coach. (Good one!)

27. There has never been a "skyhook" in the NBA. (Yeah, but there hasn't been one in my lifetime either).

32. Reality shows have always been on television. (I guess that's not a fad after all).

34. They have always known that "In the criminal justice system the people have been represented by two separate yet equally important groups." (This one made me laugh, especially since it's my favorite show. How is it possible that I have seen every episode of it?).

68. (And just for kicks). "Outing" has always been a threat. (Maybe one day it won't...)

2 Comments:

At 28/8/06 10:01 AM, Blogger Eugene said...

The first thing that got me on this oneis that most incoming freshman this year were born in 1988. I was close to middle school then.

You think you feel old? I was halfway through college then!

 
At 29/8/06 11:26 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Lol, I figured that comment would come back at me, E!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home