Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Falwell vs. Fallwell

I'm not sure how I haven't come across this before, but www.fallwell.com is a site whose intent is to directly dispute Jerry Falwell's claims that being gay is a sin. The site also goes into ex-gay issues, gay religious issues, and some other interesting topics.

The real Jerry Falwell sued to have the site taken down. However, Falwell lost the suit at the appeals level, and now the U.S. Supreme Court has declined to hear the case, meaning the site will be allowed to stay up.

Falwell claimed that people would be misled into the alternate site by the similar spelling of his name. However, the appeals court said the content of the two sites were so dissimilar that no reasonable person would be misled into confusing the two after entering the site.

So, congratulations to www.fallwell.com. The splash page of the site was especially poignant to me, so I'm going to quote it below.

I was just 12 years old. My family and I were on vacation in Virginia. My dad and I were watching television in our motel room. Jerry Falwell's "Old Time Gospel our" was on. Reverend Falwell looked into the camera and, preaching against gay people, said, "Even animals don't do that."

That was the first time in my life that I ever felt unworthy of the love of God.
Thanks to normal guy Shorty for the tip.

2 Comments:

At 22/4/06 10:07 PM, Blogger Christine Bakke said...

Yeah, powerful stuff. Our power is really in our stories, I think.

 
At 24/4/06 8:12 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Much agreed, Christine. It's hard to demonize people when you are forced to sit down and realize they are regular people, not the terrible monsters they are presented to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home