Thursday, April 06, 2006

Ex-Gay, Anti-Gay and American Idol

The Advocate has a piece up currently about American Idol finalist Mandisa, and her possible implied support for the anti-gay and ex-gay movements.

The piece notes that Mandisa's favorite author, Beth Moore, has a book in which she discusses Satan and evil lesbians pulling a girl into the chains of homosexuality. Moore's personal website also links to ex-gay groups such as Exodus International.

In the clip of the story, it's easy to note how easily the author paints the lesbians as evil enemies of God. I can't think any gay ally would call someone writing such a piece their idol. Then, in the beginning of her song last week, Mandisa dedicatedthe song to everyone that wanted to break free of their "addiction, lifestyle or situation."

All this surely doesn't directly tie Mandisa to being anti-gay or an ex-gay supporter, but the word "lifestyle" is a loaded term used almost exclusively to refer to gay folks by the far right, so the implication certainly is there.

From what I have seen of this season's Idol, Mandisa is one of the most talented of the singers, and I was sad to see her go when she got voted off this week. I'm still not ready to say that she's anti-gay based on her fondness for one writer. But, I wonder if her song dedication made any of her gay fans start to wonder about her feelings towards gay people and their support for her.

Thanks to normal guy (that's what I'm going to call my readers from now on--or normal gal for females) Shorty for the lead!

4 Comments:

At 6/4/06 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you (or who ever takes it to heart) are just being oversensitive. It's almost like saying someone who likes authors who were associated with Nazi Germany are prejudice. It's just jumping to a conclusion without getting to know the person.

And even so, they can be an amazing person regardless if they approve of your 'lifestyle' or not.

 
At 6/4/06 1:45 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Hey Steven. I'll admit, I took offense to the clip from the writings of Beth Moore about the girl who was swallowed up by lesbians just because I know people actually believe that type of stuff happens like she claims.

As for Mandisa, if I sounded overly upset, I didn't mean to. I'm not sold on her being anti-gay right now, and I still like her.

As for the amazing person part, I'd have to qualify it that she would be an amazing person that has some issues. Agreeing with my 'lifestyle' is one thing (and someone doesnt have to to be a great person), but making up fairy tales about lesbian recruiting is quite another. I'd take the 'amazing' card away from anyone that believes or regurgitates that sort of urban legend.

 
At 12/4/06 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever I hear that word lifestyle, I just cringe. It is an insulting over simplification of an innate, physiological trait that occurs in 3-5% of the world's population. Brady, I did catch Mandissa's intro to that song where she mentioned that, that word, and I immediately thought the same thing. I did like her voice and was routing for her early in the competition, had she stayed, I may still route for her regardless of her misguided views on life.

 
At 12/4/06 6:44 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I'm the same way BC. But, some people say it more because they are misled or misunderstand the word's implications. I hope that's the case with Mandisa because I did like her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home