Sunday, March 19, 2006

Is This Hate Speech?

I read over at Ex-Gay Watch that Google has declared the site "Alain's Newsletter" hate speech. The site seems to be a bit perturbed by the Google decision, so I decided to look around a bit and see what I could find.

I went over to the first gay-related article I could find, and I did start to get an idea as to how Google made it's decision, but I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's hate speech or not. The article is about "gay propaganda," so I had an idea as to where it was going. But, there is surely a difference between believing in "gay propaganda" and hate speech.

Ok, here goes. It starts out relatively banal and gets a bit more angry from there:

"Being gay is most certainly NOT good, except to those people who've been conditioned by propaganda to believe otherwise."

"Homosexuality is an undesirable condition (i.e., a psychosexual pathology) that is characterized by compulsive, or obligatory, unnatural sexual behavior. This behavior is often grossly unhygienic and physically traumatizing. Same-sex sex facilitates the transmission of devastating, often fatal diseases."

"Alexander the Great (who I submit wasn't so Great if he was in fact gay). "

After recalling a list of great gay people this world has seen, the author counters with a similar list of terrible (allegedly) gay people including Jeffery Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy, Adolf Hitler and several others.

The author closes by talking about his implied amusement when he overhears the word gay used derrogatorily in conversation.

I don't know about you, but listing society's worst killers as a counter to the argument that some gay people are actually heroes is pretty despicable. Hate speech? You call it, but I can certainly see why Google would want to stay clear of a site like this one. It's too bad, as Ex-Gay Watch mentions, that Exodus doesn't seem to want to keep similar distance.

**Update**
Randy made a post about this today and was nice enough to link back here. In the post, he not only distanced himself from Alain's Newsletter, but he asked his blogger buddy that links there directly to do the same. So, the last sentence of my main post has been answered, very kindly, by Randy. Much appreciated.

4 Comments:

At 24/3/06 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are on the fence about Alain's Newsletter containing "hate speech", then you should take a look at this article.

I think that pretty much explain's Google's decision.

 
At 27/3/06 6:47 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks, Bryan. I'm glad you linked it. What a sad world those people must live in...

 
At 30/3/06 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have done some extensive rebuttles to the lies and misinformation over at Alain's newsletter on my blog. You are welcome to link over to it.

If we can get the word out this is hate, then maybe people will stop supporting it.

 
At 31/3/06 6:42 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks Joe. I'll make it a point to do that this weekend...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home