Thursday, April 13, 2006

Just When You Thought You Were Safe

For the record, I'd like to say that I have never been the victim of any type of discrimination because I'm gay. No one has ever even called me the "f-word" maliciously, to my face at least. Granted, I don't fit into the stereotype of a gay guy, so that may have something to do with it, but I generally feel pretty safe and comfortable.

But, it is things like this that make me stay on guard when I'm out with my boyfriend or other gay friends in the real world. Via Pam's House Blend, someone at Michigan Tech. has been writing death threats and other homophobic remarks around the campus in chalk, some of them calling for killing and mutilating gays. Take a look at the pictures here.

On a brighter side, though, the Michigan Tech campus has come out very strongly against these vandals, going as far to say that this type of anti-gay rhetoric is not welcome at their campus. Yes, diversity if a good thing, but not all types of diversity of thought (such as this) should be welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home