Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Homosexuality Is Still a Mental Disorder

In case you listen to some ex- or anti-gay organizations a lot and get the impression that society loves gay people and has a general positive reaction about them, here's a little bit of news. According to AmericaBlog, an official Pentagon document still lists homosexuality as a mental disorder. Yes, thirty years after it was delisted as a mental disorder by the medical community, the military still treats gays differently.

For the record, while my coming out experience was mostly positive, it is still one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with. Believe it or not, most people did not encourage me to "embrace my homosexuality" (even many people that are generally supportive). A big bias still exists towards gays, trust me.

2 Comments:

At 20/6/06 10:00 AM, Blogger grace said...

You are right Brady...a big bias does still exists. Here in Texas, at least. We even deal with this in that while our gay friend loves to have us over (and is tonight for the MAVS game) we are very careful about letting our boys invite their friends when we go. We know that many of the parents of our boys' friends would have a problem with it....as if we are putting them in some "danger" by exposing them to a gay guy. So sad to me. But...to each his own when it comes to parenting. I want my boys to learn to love and accept, even if they don't agree. And, ultimately, what they decide about homosexuality is up to them. I can only lead, guide, and hopefully teach them to THINK. I will not force my views on them.
grace

 
At 20/6/06 11:24 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Hey Grace, good point about your sons. My younger sister asked my mom if she could bring a friend to my wedding. My first reaction when my mom told me was wondering to myself if the friends parents would be ok with that.

El, I hear you. Surprisingly, I wasn't as angry at this one. I had more of a, "give me a break" reaction. Maybe I've just come to expect it sometimes. Who knows...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home