Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Death Metal, Christians, and Gays

I went to a death metal concert with a couple of friends of mine last night. This isn't my usual scene, so I felt slightly out of place.

I've been to plenty of punk rock shows in my life, so I'm fine with energetic fans, crowd surges, and the occasional mosh pit, but this was a little different. The mosh pit was way more violent, and everyone (I mean everyone) was in black. The bands were decent, though, so I enjoyed it.

The opening band was, believe it or not, a Christian death metal band. Talk about having a niche market. Very interesting, especially considering the next act was called Devil Driver. I couldn't understand a word they said, so I'm just going off what I was told.

During the last band, my friends and I stood just a few people off of the stage to be more part of the energy of the crowd. For those of you that don't know, mosh pits usually form several rows of people off of the stage (I'd say 10-15 people deep or more if I had to guess). It gets too dangerous to have people moshing right up against a big wooden stage. But, for some reason, after a bit of normal crowd surging, a mosh pit opened up right on top of my two friends (which was normally way too close for a pit). They were caught way off guard and weren't pleased.

One of my friends said he thought the guys that started the pit pinpointed them because they were gay (I normally don't get picked out for being gay, but like I said, we stood out in the crowd of all black, long-haired people). He saw two guys pointing at them right before it happened. I'm not sure that's what happened, but a few minutes earlier, I did hear someone yell a few derrogatory names about gay people (at some other people, not us), so it's possible.

All in all a good time. I was just left thinking how often I get told by the anti-gay crowd how cool and easy society says it is to be gay these days. Maybe they should go to a venue like this and tell people they're gay, just to see how easy it really is.

2 Comments:

At 8/2/06 12:34 PM, Blogger CrackerLilo said...

I'd like to see them try it, too.

Death metal, I understand, is an unfriendly music culture anyway.

I bet those tough musicians all have day jobs. Imagine them in Kinko's uniforms and asking people if they want fries with that...

 
At 9/2/06 6:46 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Hi Crackerillo- the first (of two) one of these concerts that I went too did have a fairly unfriendly crowd. This one was a bit better (for the most part), but still not the most welcoming.

These particular bands were fairly well known in the scene, so I doubt they have day jobs, but definitely the smaller ones have some sort of McD's job too, lol.

One funny thing- the headliners were from Sweden. I just couldn't see the lead singer as all mean and angry when he kept sounding like the Ikea spokesperson when he spoke english. More happy and sing-songy that "devil worshipper," lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home