Monday, October 03, 2005

Being Gay- An Email

I got an email last night. It wasn't specifically about me being gay. But, my cousin sent me an email last night asking me to vote in favor of the Texas Constitutional Ammendment banning gay marriage and civil unions. While my immediate family all knows I'm gay, most of the others don't. My dad's side of the family is very devout Southern Baptist, and I don't think they would take the news very well.

The email really upset me. I know at some point in my life I'll have to tell all of them that I'm gay, but as comfortable as I am with being gay, I'm still not ready for that. So, it upset me. Mostly because it made me realize that my family doesn't see gay people like I see them. They see gay people exactly as I worried they might--as sinful heathens trying to destroy marriage (and our society).

Anyway, don't worry, I did respond to tell my cousin that I would be voting against this Ammendment and outlined a few reasons why. But, I didn't tell her I was gay. So, I guess I fought the easy half of the battle now. Who knows when I'll tackle the hard part.

6 Comments:

At 3/10/05 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no time like the present.

There is nothing wrong with you. Why be ashamed?

 
At 4/10/05 6:36 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks for the comment anonymous. It's not that I'm ashamed as much as I am afraid of what their reaction might be and that I am not sure I'm ready to handle it at this point.

 
At 4/10/05 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've done it before, and you will have to do it again. I know you have a good network around you to help you get through it. Don't forget that lots and lots of people love you for you.

 
At 4/10/05 3:02 PM, Blogger grace said...

I'm sorry you have this dilemma. I understand where you are coming from, though. My extended family is very "religious" and I have a lesbian cousin. She is out to the whole family and some of us continue to accept and love her and others pretty much give her the cold shoulder. I hate that for her and think it's horrible and wrong....very much as sinful as anything I might believe about sexual sin.

 
At 6/10/05 3:05 PM, Blogger GayProf said...

Being out is great. In your case, it could even have political power -- Would coming out prompt your family to vote against the measure? If they knew that this hateful amendment will actually affect someone they care about, would it change their mind? Or at least prompt them not to vote at all?

 
At 7/10/05 8:52 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Gayprof-

Thanks for commenting! I see you are a fellow Texan. You bring up a good point, and I have actually thinking about it a lot recently. Would it make a difference? I don't know. But I've really been wanting to get more involved in gay rights type of stuff (I follow it constantly as it is), and I think coming out to everyone is something I should seriously consider.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home