Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Texas Amendment (Again)

Expect this topic to come up more and more on my blog as the election date grows near. As I was going through my WORK email today, I got this absurd one from some person I don't even know. I get lots of emails from people I don't know since I hire for my company, but for someone to take the time to just blanket emails to people she doesn't know with this type of garbage really aggravates me. I told her I didn't want to receive any more emails from her (so maybe I didn't say it that nicely, but people should know that there are gays and gay allies out there).

Here's the email:

Don't forget to vote! Get the word out.
Subject: FW: November Election Day - Please vote and encourage othersDate: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:25:35 -0500

One of our Atonement members gave me a memo from the office of the Texas Secretary of State. The memo indicates that three proposed constitutional amendments will appear on the November election ballot.

The memo states: "HJR 6 would provide that marriage in Texas is solely the union of a man and woman, and that the state and its political subdivisions could not create or recognize any legal status identical to or similar to marriage, including such legal status relationships created outside of Texas.

"The proposed amendment will appear on the ballot as follows: 'The constitutional amendment providing that marriage in this state consists only of the union of one man and one woman and prohibiting this state or a political subdivision of this state from creating or recognizing any legal status identical or similar to marriage.'"

Voter turnout in non-presidential election years is usually low. This proposed constitutional amendment needs to be passed because we are living in a society today that has an immoral minority that wants to erode the institution of marriage and family by changing the definition of what God established as a man/woman only relationship.

Your vote in favor of this state amendment will support the biblical definition of marriage.

I would hope that voter turnout in favor of this amendment is extremely high because that will send a message to the citizens of every state that there is a large group of people in Texas who still believe that what the Bible tells us about marriage as a man/woman only relationship is true and that we are going to be heard from when the truth of God's Word and marriage are under attack.

In Christ,

Pastor G

----------------------------
I'm not sure who Pastor G is, but I take personal offense when someone calls gay people a minority of immoral people.

Also, last night I called my mom to ask if she was registered to vote (the registration deadline ends October 11th) and as soon as I asked she told me she knew why I was asking because someone in her church had emailed the entire church plus some Mom/Daugther group she is in asking them to vote in favor of this amendment (the anti-gay side). She said she rattled off a few emails back and forth to him expressing her serious discontent with his email. I'm very proud of her. She's also supposed to forward me her response so I can give her tips on how to better argue the case. Go mom!

2 Comments:

At 4/10/05 12:59 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Someone at your company sent you that? Fucking-A if I had to put up with that shit here in CA I could live off the settlement for the next five years. We don't put up with that kind of crap here.

 
At 4/10/05 3:26 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Daniel, luckily the person was not from my company, they just sent it to my company email. My email address runs in the paper all the time, and I think that is where they got it.

Although, I'm sad to say that we still do put up with that kind of crap here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home