Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Exodus Doesn't Cure, But Can it Stop Gay Feelings

From what I can tell, Exodus has been claiming that it doesn't "cure" gay people for a while now. I know Randy Thomas has held to that as long as I have been speaking to him.

So, they don't cure gays, but do they help people stop their gay feelings? Do they help people become straight? This article from World Magazine implies that maybe they don't. The article mentions three Exodus folks, one of them being the President. None of them claim to no longer struggle with gay thoughts. One woman even admits that she has to "work to be physically attracted to her husband" and admitted to marrying a man she was not attracted to to avoid her homosexual attractions. Somehow I don't think this is the answer, but maybe that is just me.

I know some Exodus folks like Randy Thomas now claim to be completely straight, and I'd rather not doubt those claims. My interactions with Randy have been positive, and he seems like a nice guy.

But, if Exodus not only doesn't cure gays, but also doesn't help people stop having gay attractions, shouldn't they tell people that? When they have their ads "Questioning Homosexuality," the implication is simple--that these folks are no longer gay--that they no longer have gay attractions. I think Exodus should work to clear up that message. Surely marrying a man you are not attracted to is not truly "Questioning Homosexuality."

1 Comments:

At 10/8/05 7:50 PM, Blogger Brady said...

Hey Stojef-

Yeah, I have read the book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think Besen was a bit hyper critical of religion in general, but his points about the ex-gay movement certainly were important and were well put together by him.

I also agree that the ex-gay definition is a bit "loose" to say the least.

Stojef- I have a question for you. Can you email me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home