Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Brokeback Continued

The NYT has an article out about Brokeback Mountain that backs up some of the ideas/complaints I was mentioning to Grace about how some people have treated the movie critically.

It is good to see that many of the Christian reviewers admitted the movie had artistic merit, but others, such as movieguide.org had things like this to say, "too long and at times twisted, laughable, frustrating, sadomasochistic, plotless and boring." And, while many of the Christian sites gave the movie a favorable technical review, most recommended that their readers not see it.

The NYT goes on to talk about movieguide.org saying that "the organization, which has been reviewing movies since 1985, rated the film "abhorrent," a designation it shares with "Syriana," "Rent and "Breakfast on Pluto.""

I'm sorry, but a "movie review" site calling movies "abhorrent" is just humorous to me. Abhorrent? Really?

I also found this link that compiles average reviews about movies. I found it interesting that about 71% of the reviewers gave Brokeback Mountain an A rating and 23% fave the movie an F rating. So, people either loved it or hated. I think you can see what I am getting at--they hated the message more than the movie and couldn't differentiate between the two.

Ok, that's all I have. The point is that the movie should not be panned on it's artistic merit just because of its gay theme. And, as Grace and I both mentioned, there is a lot more going on in this movie than just gay themes. The destruction of two families is one thing that really got to me, and that happens all the time in straight movies too. I wonder how some of these reviewers review those movies.

2 Comments:

At 28/12/05 9:34 AM, Blogger grace said...

Brady,
Thanks for your thoughtful assessment of these reviews. I'd even go so far as to say I'd recommend a movie like this to someone who doesn't have a clue or even a glimmer of understanding about the "angst" of being gay. I personally have never experienced it but, because of other circumstances, and a God-given compassion and love for those who are gay, I get it. I wish more people did. The problem is....most of those people, as you clearly identify in your post, aren't looking with eyes of compassion but only judgement and a pre-conceived notion of what being gay is all about.

grace

 
At 28/12/05 11:30 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks Grace. I agree, the movie certainly does have that angle to offer, and it is one of the reasons that "gay-themed" movies often appeal to me personally. So, I can certainly see how this movie or another one can open someone's eyes to the angst of being gay.

Whatever someone believes about being gay, that issue still exists for almost anyone dealing with homosexuality in any way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home